Resolving Workplace Conflict is a 7-minute eLearning module that I worked on while completing my Workplace eLearning and Performance Support Certificate with Boise State University.
As the Lead Learning Experience Designer, I led all learning design and development on this project.
During 2017, I enrolled in a Principles of eLearning Course while completing my Workplace eLearning and Performance Support Certificate with Boise State University. The class culminated in a final assignment where students were able to develop a scenario-based, interactive eLearning lesson focused on a performance problem of our choice.
Due to my experience working full time at The Predictive Index, I had witnessed first hand the value that self-awareness can bring to workplace dynamics. With that in mind, I chose to focus my eLearning project on a hypothetical scenario involving workplace conflict resolution.
As the Lead Learning Experience Designer, my first step was to better understand the audience. I conducted a rapid audience analysis that focused on the following questions:
- Who is the audience? What is the location and population size?
- What are their demographic factors?
- What level of knowledge do they posses?
- What is their work environment like? What are their attitudes towards training and learning?
- What is the performance problem taking place?
I landed on a target audience being managers inside of small to medium sizes businesses.
Course Goals and Objectives
After I had a better understanding of the target audience and performance problem, I aligned around the following course goals and objectives.
The goal for this course is to:
- Increase learner’s awareness of negative impacts that conflict can bring to the workplace
- Enhance learner’s ability to recognize workplace conflicts
- Arm the learner with communication techniques to help resolve workplace conflicts
After completing the course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the behaviors and warning signs of workplace conflicts
- Discuss the negative impacts that workplace conflicts have on organizations.
- Demonstrate appropriate steps to help resolve workplace conflicts
With the course goals and objectives in mind, I utilized best practices related to scenario-based learning, assessment strategy, and learning engagement practices to create a course blueprint. The course blueprint outlined the topics, course resources, and overall assessment strategy for the course.
With a course bluerprint in hand, my next step was to develop a storyboard for the course. Through this process I was able to think about the instructional flow of the eLearning course, on screen graphics, and audio narration.
The outcome was the creation of a 7-minute eLearning module focused on resolving workplace conflicts.
The course begins with a scenario created in GoAnimate. The goal of the scenario was to introduce learners to what an ineffective workplace conflict looked like and demonstrate the need for conflict resolution techniques in the workplace.
After the scenario, learners are introduced to tactics and techniques that can be used to help resolve workplace conflicts.
After the lesson, the module concludes with a formative assessment that allows learners to test their knowledge.
After each assessment question, the learner is provided with non-evaluative, specific, and timely feedback to help support and deepen their understanding of the learning content.